What is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?
Most people don’t wrap their heads around the importance of learning self-defense skills until it’s too late. Don’t worry; you don’t have to be a Bruce Lee to be good at martial arts. The solution? Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu!
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu was developed in 1933 by Japanese judoka Mitsuyo Maeda as a self-defense fighting style for Japanese immigrants in Brazil. This martial art has been around for many years, but it has recently seen a resurgence in popularity worldwide. The main reason people are interested in learning BJJ is that it is an excellent self-defense technique that focuses on grappling and submission holds instead of striking your opponent with your fists or feet.
If you’re ready to take your training up a notch and get in shape simultaneously, we are here to tell you about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and it can be a perfect match for you.
How Does Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Work?
The objective of BJJ is to use your opponent’s size and weight against them. Smaller and weaker people can defend themselves from a larger, stronger attacker using leverage and technique to get the attacker on the ground, rendering them relatively immobile.
Once there, the defender can apply a series of joint locks and chokeholds to subdue the attacker until he either gives up or is knocked out.
Requirements to Train in BJJ
While there are no set requirements to train in BJJ, it’s recommended that the students must be at least 16 years old and physically mature before taking any classes.
The sport does not involve striking, so there will be no injuries. Unlike most martial arts, BJJ classes are open to people of all levels of experience and age.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu as Workout
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu can serve as the perfect workout. It is a highly effective form of exercise that combines cardio and strength training. When performed correctly, jiu-jitsu can burn up to 500 calories per hour while building lean muscle mass.
You can use Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu as a workout to tone your body and improve your endurance. Nonetheless, it is also capable of helping you relieve stress and anxiety, building confidence, and improving self-esteem.
It is an excellent way for people with no previous martial arts experience to get involved in fitness. Moreover, if you are looking for a way to lose weight, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu can help you reach your goals faster by burning fat quickly while building muscles at the same time.
BJJ is also a great sport and workout regime to stay in shape, healthy, and strong. Here are some of the many benefits of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu:
- – BJJ is a complete workout. You will learn how to control your opponent on the ground and make them submit using a variety of moves.
- – It’s an easy-to-learn martial art.
- – BJJ doesn’t require much technical knowledge, just some coordination and strength.
- – It can be practiced by anyone, regardless of weight or age.
Styles Of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
BJJ has two main styles: the traditional Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.
- Traditional Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: It emerged in Brazil and emphasized using leverage, technique, and control to take opponents to the ground before finishing them off with a series of moves. Traditional Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu was originally designed for people without formal martial arts training.
- Gracie Jiu-Jitsu: It was developed by Carlos Gracie, a Brazilian entrepreneur. The primary focus is self-defense and grappling techniques against larger opponents. Practitioners have to study these techniques for years before receiving their black belt.
Types of BJJ Instruction and Techniques Offered
BJJ is a martial art and combat sport that focuses on grappling and ground fighting. You can practice it for self-defense or competition. There are four main types of instruction offered in BJJ:
- Semi-private Instruction: This type of lesson includes two to three students per instructor.
- Private Instruction: This type of lesson includes one student per instructor.
- Group Classes: These lessons involve a group of students learning together at the same pace under the guidance of an instructor.
- Kids Classes: Kids classes are tailored to teach school-aged children how to do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu with other kids their age.
Regardless of BJJ instruction type, you will learn moves like arm locks, chokes, joint manipulations, and more. You may also start with self-defense techniques before eventually being prepared for competition training.
BJJ Classes in UAE
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes in UAE
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a martial art that anyone can learn and practice in the UAE by simply finding an experienced and qualified instructor in the neighborhood. You don’t have to be in great shape or have any previous sports experience to benefit from BJJ training.
The best part? It’s an activity that can be done by people of all ages, genders, and fitness levels anywhere in the UAE.