Whether you need lunch in a pinch or a snack to tide you over before dinner, hummus is one of those savory treats that never displeases. Made from mashed chickpeas and tahini, plus extras like olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic, the dip is just as delicious as it is simple.
Is Hummus Good For You?
Hummus is packed with a variety of vital nutrients, offering protein, fiber, and unsaturated fats. Protein is the primary outcome of hummus which is the building block of our bodies and is necessary for the repair and rebuilding of new cells. It is especially important after a gym workout or if you are pregnant or nursing. Protein helps our blood clot, keeps our vision strong, balances our fluids, aids in the transporting of fluids through our bodies, gives us energy after we’ve burned through other resources, and much more.
Let us take a look at the ingredients of hummus.
Chickpeas are the main ingredient in hummus, and they’re high in protein and fiber and a great source of iron, magnesium, and B vitamins. The combination of all these leaves you feeling satisfied after you eat.
Tahini, a sesame seed paste that’s the second-most important ingredient in the dip, is similarly healthy, offering mono- and poly-unsaturated fats, minerals, and even more protein and fiber.
Olive oil is rich in antioxidants, helping fight inflammation. And “this winning combination” of healthy fat, protein, and fiber can keep blood sugar in check and boost gut health.
Is Homemade Hummus Healthier?
Experts say Store-bought hummus can be just as healthy as its homemade counterpart. But you should read the label carefully. Buy hummus with as few ingredients as possible, primarily whole foods. To do that, just look for ingredients with names you recognize on the label.
Benefits Of Hummus
- Super Nutritious and Packed with Plant-Based Protein.
- Rich in Ingredients Proven to Help Fight Inflammation.
- High in Fiber That Promotes Digestive Health and Feeds Your Good Gut Bacteria.
- Has a Low Glycemic Index, so it May Help Control Blood Sugar Levels.
- Contains Heart-Healthy Ingredients That May Reduce Heart Disease Risk.
- Promotes Weight Loss and Helps You Maintain a Healthy Body Weight.
- Great for Those with Intolerances, as It’s Dairy-Free.
- Incredibly Easy to Add to Your Diet.