The space between the two pecs on your chest forms a vertical column. For a well-defined inner chest, these attachment points need to be built up so that each pec is clearly separated from the other and looks like it has been carved out of granite.
The inner chest is a stubborn area to build since it has bigger and stronger fibers that require much more work to grow. If you want to develop your inner chest, the greatest technique is to do exercises that encourage you to move your arms towards your chest’s midline. Check out our article to burn chest fat too
So, to properly develop the inner part of your pecs, you need to perform exercises where the arms don’t just extend out in front of you but come together at the midline of the body.
Here is a collection of exercises that do a good job of shaping your inner chest.
The diamond push-up is also referred to as a close-grip push-up or triangle push-up. Diamond Push-ups are a more difficult variant of classic push-ups and are made by lifting your body weight by joining your hands in a triangle. As it is an exercise that requires physical competence, it is not suitable for beginners.
How to do Diamond push-ups:
- Lay down on the ground with face up, straight legs, palm near, and arms supporting the upper body. Keep your knees off the ground. Take a narrower push-up stance than you normally would.
- Now slowly raise yourself off the ground, straightening your elbows and arms. Keep your elbows close to your body.
- Raise until your elbows are locked and pause at the top of the movement for a moment.
- Now lower your body under slow, sustained motion, feeling the motion down until your chest is very close to the ground.
The close-grip bench press is an upper body compound exercise that targets the triceps muscles and is useful for building up your upper and inner chest. One of the main differences between the regular bench press and the close-grip bench press is that it emphasizes the inner chest instead of working your entire chest.
How to do bench press:
- Lie on a flat bench and grab the bar with your hands slightly more than shoulder-width apart, palms forward, and thumb wrapped around the bar.
- Unrack the bar and slowly lower it about 3-4 inches from the middle of your chest; the bar should not touch your chest.
- Contract your chest to push the bar back to the start position.
- Repeat and rerack at the end of the set.
High Cable Crossover
High cable crossover exercise is excellent for stretching your chest muscles, increasing the range of motion, and shredding chest muscles. This exercise provides a very good contraction and stretching of the chest muscles; It allows you to work your chest from different angles. It is one of the beneficial exercises for muscle growth and development.
How to cable fly high to low
- Adjust the cable handles near the top of the cable towers and step forward slightly ahead of the towers.
- Engaging your inner chest, push your arms toward your navel; keep your arms slightly angled at the elbow.
- Stop when the handles are about to make contact in front of you. Maintain tension on the inner and lower chest.
- Return the handles back up to the start.
A dumbbell hammer press, also known as Hammer Press, is used as a way to realize the press movement pattern, focusing on the isolation of the inner chest. It’s a good way to add to inner-pec development. You can put more emphasis on your inner chest with exercises like hammer press.
How to do hammer press
- Lie flat on a bench with two dumbbells, similar to a dumbbell press.
- Keep both weights pressed against each other right on top of the middle of the chest (hex-shaped dumbbells make this a bit easier, hence the name).
- While pushing the weights in, squeeze the inner chest and push the weights straight up.
- You’ll want to maintain a lot of tension on the inner chest.
- Slowly draw the weights back down to the chest; don’t bounce them off the chest or rest too long here.
Pec Deck Fly
The pec deck fly is an effective exercise for building pectoral muscles and strengthening the upper body. The machine acts as a stabilizer here, emphasizing the pectoralis major muscle of the chest and the pectoralis minor muscle just below it.
The pec deck machine targets the pectoralis major and minor muscles in your chest and your serratus anterior and anterior shoulder muscles.
For a crafted inner chest, you can join a gym near me.
How To Do Pec Deck Fly
- Sit on the machine, grasp the handles, and place your forearms on the padding.
- Keeping your body fixed, slowly bring the forearm pads or handles together. Don’t let them touch.
- Squeeze the chest muscles for a count of 1-3, then slowly lower back to the starting position.
Your upper arms should be parallel to the floor, keeping your eyes straight ahead.
Repeat for desired reps.